Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Declutter Day 23

It's spring cleaning fun in the living room today at Simple Mom's. I only the after pictures because I spent most of my time straightening up the kitchen and the living area because our parents were coming over for the t-ball game tonight and to eat/visit with us.


If you saw earlier pictures of my living room, you will notice that I have moved an old armoire into the corner between the two couches. That had to come out of the spare bedroom because we are moving the bedroom furniture in there this week. I just couldn't part with this piece plus it holds all of my memoirs and scrapbooking supplies and pictures. I love this piece because it belonged to my grandparents and I think lovingly of them every time I look at it. I shouldn't have had it stashed away in a room that was mostly serving as a junk area anyway. I truly smile every time I look at it. This is the way we should feel about every thing we have in our homes. If not, it should go. I think that is the point of decluttering.



Now that tree is another story. I actually bought it for my son's room, but it just didn't seem to fit where I wanted it. I don't smile when I see it. I usually cringe, because it is a constant reminder that I spent good money on something that just didn't work out like I wanted it to. My husband has suggested that we put it in the attic and save it for a Christmas tree for my little one. All we have for him now is a little tiny tree and since he's getting to be a big boy, he'll want a big boy tree. Sounds like a good idea to me. It was cheaper than a Christmas tree and I won't have to see that reminder except during a short time of the year. That might actually cause me to smile instead of cringe. It might turn out to be money well spent in that context.

Oh, and I do know that this mirror is too high. Originally, we were planning to move my grandmother's piano here to the new house and I measured to see where the mirror needed to go in order to be above the piano. Well, as you can see, there's no piano. Moving it proved to be more than we could handle and I couldn't afford a moving company. So until I can save up the money for moving it, the piano will stay at our old house. I'm planning to move this mirror and replace it with a gorgeous metal clock.



Anyway, I didn't get the area deep cleaned today, but part 2 of the living room is tomorrow. So hopefully I'll get a chance to do some real cleaning then.

No comments:

Post a Comment